Tuesday, October 18, 2005


Karate for dummies!

So, here I am in the close to 40s-age category and I along with my girlfriends decided to join a karate class. We started out taking kickboxing in a local dojo and we noticed some of the other folks were taking karate. We sorta jokingly inquired, and our Sensei agreed to help us learn karate.

There are a few of us who are not the most coordinated individuals, so we've titled the class "Karate for Dummies" as our Sensei has to go over each instruction several, several times before we all interpret it correctly :).

We are having a blast and enjoying the discipline of the martial arts, but it is very challenging.

Here we are three months later, and who'd have guessed we'd be competing in a karate tournament in Detroit, MI. We are competing individually as well as in a group setting.

It's very fun telling people that I am competing in a karate tournament, and I'll be honest, I don't divulge that I'm competing in the white-belt category unless they ask :)

I guess I won't change my nickname to Karate Karla just yet...

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Kiii-yah! I'll be thinking positive vibes for you guys. Have a blast! PINAN CHONAN.... Can't wait to hear all the details when you get back, and I'm SO looking forward to getting back to class on Monday.... :)

5:55 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You GO!!! How inspiring. Rebecca sent me over to wish you luck. I'll look forward to reading ore of your adventures!

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home