Saturday, October 29, 2005

Still not sure what I want to do when I grow up...
To this day, I still don't understand how anyone who is 18 years of age is supposed to know what they want to do for a career. Whether choosing a college, trade, profession, or whatever other options there are, honestly, who can know what they want to spend the majority of the rest of their life doing each day.

While on my return flight from the karate tournament,I was fortunate enough to meet a wonderful woman from Michigan who was an entrepreneur with a consulting business helping high school students from 9th through 12th grade figure out via studies, tests, analysis, hands-on assessments not only what they want to do when they grow up, but what they'd be good at based on their skills and personality traits.

I was very intrigued as being the product of the " I have no clue what I'm going to do when I grow up" environment, I wish I had the benefit of such a wonderful high school future analysis path.

We think of teenagers as so immature and irresponsible, but we must realize that someday those "teenagers" may be running large companies or, better yet, our country....

Well, I thought I'd raise that topic for discussion as I myself fell into my profession when I was 18 thanks to a friend asking me to join them for a day of filling out applications. How long ago was that you may ask..... 21 short yrs ago. It seems like yesterday.

I didn't have a care in the world at the time, and, Boy, what I wouldn't do to not have any responsibilities again; however, w/ responsibilities comes accomplishment, pride and personal growth.

Here's to the future -- let us all grow as much as we can and be the people we were meant to be....

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I still to this day, don't know what I want to be when I grow up! At 18 I sure as to heck didn't know then.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Grow up? I still don't know what I want to be....I know what I do, but it's not necessarily what I want. There are too many things in life I'd like to try, I can't see just settling on one.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home